Thursday, January 5, 2012

Abundant Genealogy- Week One: Blogging

I'm a "newbie" to genealogy blogging, having only started my family history blog a little over 3 weeks ago, but I have discovered so much in such little time!  There's an abundance of information available online nowadays and I've found several genealogy related blogs which offer great advice and helpful hints for both us "newbies" and seasoned genea-bloggers.



For example, 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2012) that invite genealogists and others to discuss resources in the genealogy community including websites, applications, libraries, archives, genealogical societies and more. You do not have to be a blogger to participate. If you do not have a genealogy blog, write down your thoughts on your computer, or simply record them on paper and keep them with your files.

Week 1 – Blogs: Blogging is a great way for genealogists to share information with family members, potential cousins and each other. For which blog are you most thankful? Is it one of the earliest blogs you read, or a current one? What is special about the blog and why should others read it? This challenge runs from Sunday, January 1, 2012 through Saturday, January 7, 2012.

Now, on to answer the above questions:

There are actually two blogs that I am thankful for, the first being The We Tree Genealogy Blog, hosted by Amy Coffin.  Amy's blog is one of the firsts I discovered while browsing genea-blogs and I have visited her site frequently, acquiring ideas to incorporate into my own blog and reading articles on the latest news in genealogy research.  I mentioned in one of my Friday Finds post that one of my favorites is the post by Amy on Jump Start Your Genealogy Blog which gave me some wonderful ideas to use in future posts.  I recommend The We Tree Genealogy Blog because Amy frequently updates her blog with the latest news in the online genealogy community and there is something for everyone who is interested in genealogy research.

Second, I am thankful for the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog, hosted by Lorine McGinnis Schulze.  Her blog is packed with information on several genealogy topics including various locations, history, technology, documentation and so much more.  I also enjoy reading her personal family stories.  I also acquired the idea of Sharing Memories from Lorine's blog, which I have incorporated into my own.  What a wonderful way to share the memories I have accumulated over the last half-century!  For anyone interested in genealogy research or just to enjoy some great reads, the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog has much to offer!

I can not complete this post without mentioning GeneaBloggers.  I acquired a host of new ideas from their site by reading the Daily Blogging Prompts.  I also found other great family history blogs by browsing through the list of over 2,000 blogs posted at GeneaBloggers.  I haven't participated in their GeneaWebinars yet, but I plan to in the future.  This is a great genealogy related site that helped me to "get the ball rolling" with my own blog.

I owe a big "THANK YOU!!!" to all those who make the genealogy online community a great success!  I'm looking forward to new discoveries this year as we travel this path together!


1 comment:

  1. Susan, thank you for the kind words! Sometimes I just write and write and wonder if anyone even reads my blog. It's nice to know that you do and enjoy it!

    Hopefully the Abundant Genealogy series gives you some good writing topics. I look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete